Skip to Content
CALL US TODAY! 406-625-0100
What Kind Of Medical Records Should I Be Keeping


You should be keeping all medical bills, handouts and records given to you by any doctor’s office. It is becoming more common for medical providers to give the patient a printout of that day’s visit when they leave the office. Sometimes records get lost and some things that are provided to patients are not part of the official chart. You want to keep everything they give you because some of it cannot be obtained later with a records request. It is wise to set these documents aside in a folder or a box so you can keep track of it easily and easily access it.

Should I Ever Provide My Medical Records To The Other Driver’s Insurance Company?

Any medical records that are relevant to your claim are going to need to be provided by your attorney. The insurance company, if it is a medical payment’s claim or uninsured motorist claim, will not process the bills or pay them without the supporting medical records. The question is whether or not you are going to sign a release allowing them unfettered access to your medical records or have your attorney obtain the relevant records and discuss this with an attorney. Insurance companies frequently have injured parties sign releases that give those insurance adjusters the ability to obtain all of their medical records, including sensitive and irrelevant medical data regarding childbirth, HIV testing and alcohol or drug testing. Once insurance companies get those records, they are no longer protected by federal law and they may send them to third parties.

Should I Allow My Own Health Insurance To Cover My Medical Bills?

Under Montana and Oregonlaw, when you have a motor vehicle injury, your own Med-Pay coverage is primary. Once those payments are exhausted, then it is entirely appropriate for you to submit those bills to your private health insurance and let your private health insurance pay them. Your private health insurance, whether it is a private insurance company or Medicare, will pay those bills conditionally and then they will assert a claim for subrogation and reimbursement. Oftentimes, there simply is not enough money in the at-fault policy to pay all of the bills and pay all of the client’s damages. If you pay for private health insurance, you are entitled to use it and they are entitled to get reimbursed, according to applicable law.

For more information on keeping medical records after an accident, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (406) 625-0100 today.