Skip to Content
CALL US TODAY! 406-625-0100
Should I Have My Vehicle Inspected Or Appraised After An Accident


Before getting your vehicle appraised or inspected, it is important to get as many photos of the vehicle as you can, from as many different angles as possible. Be sure they are of good quality & not blurry. Photos of vehicles at the scene are very important. It is important to also get photos of the other driver’s vehicle at the scene because those are hard to obtain later. Then, have your vehicle inspected to determine what the damage is and what repairs can be done if any.

What If My Car Is Totaled Out?

If your car is totaled, under Montana and Oregonlaw, you are entitled to recovery of the actual cash value of the vehicle prior to the loss. There is also the issue of what is called Loss of Use. Even when your vehicle has a total loss, you are entitled to a reasonable time period of loss of use, which is accomplished through either the insurance company providing a rental car or paying the value of the rental car.

Who Is Responsible For The Car Repair Costs?

The at-fault driver and their insurance company is responsible for car repair costs. As long as the other driver is insured, then they will have property damage coverage and that insurance company is responsible for the damage to the vehicle, whether it will be total loss or repairs. If it is an uninsured motorist claim, it is very important to make a claim against your own insurance company under your collision coverage. You may have to pay a deductible under that coverage to get the company to pay, but if the other driver does not have any insurance, then you are going to have to rely on your own coverage for the property damage claim. This is an important reason to carry collision coverage on your vehicle because not everyone has insurance and you may get hit by an uninsured driver. Unless you have collision coverage on your vehicle, your own company is not going to be paying to fix your vehicle.

What If My Car Damages Keep Me From Being Able To Get To Work?

It is difficult to make a claim for lost wages for a car being in the shop. The appropriate and best method is to ask for a rental or replacement vehicle. If you are also unable to work due to injury, be sure to ask your doctor for a written statement detailing your limitations.

For more information on vehicle appraisal after an accident, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (406) 625-0100 today.