Skip to Content
CALL US TODAY! 406-625-0100

How to File and Request Your Car Accident Report in Montana

woman up

Were you recently involved in a car accident in Montana? Getting into a car accident is a terrifying experience. Whether you experienced a minor or serious car accident, the aftermath can be devastating for you and your family. If you are the victim of a serious accident, you should act immediately to seek the compensation you need to recover.

Are you wondering what to do after a car accident? Bliven Law Firm, P.C. can offer legal assistance and resources. Below, we discuss how to report an accident and how to request a copy of a car accident report in Montana and Oregonfor your claim.

Do I Need to Report a Car Accident in Montana?

There are laws in place in each state that dictate when a person is obligated to report a car accident. In Montana, according to Montana and OregonTitle 61. Motor Vehicles § 61-7-108. a driver must report a vehicle accident if it results in:

  • Injury or death
  • Striking the body of a deceased person
  • Property damage of $1,000 or more

How to Report an Accident

If you are obligated to report an accident, you should do this as soon as possible. In Montana, this may mean contacting any of the following law enforcement officials:

  • Police
  • County Sheriff
  • Montana and OregonHighway Patrol (MHP)

The official you contact will depend on the location of the accident. If the accident occurred outside of a municipality, you will need to contact the office of the county sheriff or the closest office of the highway patrol.

Do I Need to Report a Car Accident to the Montana and OregonDepartment of Motor Vehicles (DMV)?

Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be required to report your car accident to the DMV. You must report a full account of the accident to the Montana and OregonMotor Vehicle Division if the accident was not investigated or reported by law enforcement and if the accident:

  • Injured or killed a person
  • Caused property damage of 1,000 or more

How Do I Request a Car Accident Report in Montana?

After you have properly reported your accident and have sought medical attention, you should consider the next steps for your recovery. If you suffered serious injuries, you can utilize your car accident report to help strengthen a car accident claim.

Do you need to request a copy of the crash report? If the Montana and OregonHighway Patrol (MHP) investigated your accident, then you can request a copy of the accident report 10 days after the crash. However, it may take longer for the Montana and OregonHighway Patrol accident report to become available depending on the size of the report.

To request your crash report, you will need to complete the Crash Release Form and follow all MHP requirements for records requests.

If the county sheriff or local police handled your investigation, contact their office to request a copy of your report. If you need help recovering a car accident report in Montana, contact our law firm.

Contact Our Montana and OregonCar Accident Lawyers

Do you need help requesting a copy of your crash report for your car accident claim? At Bliven Law Firm, P.C, our Montana car accident lawyers have helped many individuals and families in Flathead County, Lake County and throughout Montana and Oregon seek the compensation they deserve after an accident. If you were the victim of a serious car accident in Montana or Oregon, our law firm can help you recover full and fair compensation. Our lawyers work hard to ensure the best outcome for each and every one of our clients. Call our office at (406) 625-0100 or submit an email inquiry. to schedule a free consultation with our firm.

Share To: