Skip to Content
CALL US TODAY! 406-625-0100

Personal Injury Guide: Why Reporting a Dog Bite Is Critical

barking dog

Did you know that nearly a million people must seek emergency medical treatment every year because of a serious dog bite injury? Dog bites are sometimes horrific injuries that can lead to permanent damage and long-term disfigurement. Some, may even result in a loss of life. Children are especially vulnerable to serious dog bite injuries. As a result, they may require extensive hospitalization and long-term care. Even with treatment, some may not fully recover. Reporting a dog bite is an important step to take after an injury. These reports can keep dangerous dogs from attacking others in the community. It can also set the groundwork for a liability claim.

Reporting a Dog Bite in Flathead County

Filling out a dog bite report is the first step to take after seeking medical treatment. If a dog bit you, you must report this bite to the proper authority. The law in Flathead County requires survivors to report all dog bites to the Flathead County Animal Shelter or the Sheriff’s Office. This report is also critical for filing a liability claim and collecting compensation. Once you reported the dog bite, your next step is to call an experienced Flathead County dog bite lawyer. Your lawyer will review this report and speak with you about your incident. You can then choose to file a liability claim against the dog owner for damages suffered.

How Long Do I Have to File a Dog Bite Injury Claim?

In Montana, dog bite injury survivors only have three years from the date of the bite to file a claim. If you miss this deadline, you lose your ability to seek compensation forever. This means that you must act quickly and give your attorney time to build your case.

In order to build a strong case, your attorney must establish the following:

  • A dog bite caused your injury
  • You were on public property or not trespassing on private property
  • Your incident took place in a city or town limits
  • You did not provoke the dog

If your dog bite injury did not occur within city or town limits, you may still file an injury claim based on Montana’s law of negligence. Your attorney can help you through all legal processes.

Do you need help filing a dog bite injury claim? Contact our law firm, we may be able to help you. Our attorneys have the experience and resources to help you seek the compensation you deserve.

Dog Bites and Montana and OregonLaws

Any dog is capable of biting and inflicting harm. While some breeds such as Rottweilers and Pit Bulls can cause fatal injuries, even smaller dogs can cause serious harm. Many dog bites can become infected, resulting in complications. As a result, dog bite accident survivors are often surprised how much compensation they need to fully recover. They may need to recover compensation to pay for the following:

  • Hospitalizations
  • Surgeries
  • Rehabilitation
  • Long-term care

Montana and Oregonhas strict liability laws that protect residents from dangerous dogs. Montana’s dog bite law states that if a dog bites a person without provocation, the owner of the dog is liable. Even if the dog did not show a propensity for viciousness, they are still liable. In other words, the dog owner is liable even if their dog never bit anyone in the past or showed any signs of aggression.

Questions? Discuss Your Case with a Dog Bite Lawyer in Montana and OregonToday

Dog bite injuries are more serious and debilitating than many people realize. Some injuries result in significant disfigurement and scarring. If you suffered a dog bite injury, reporting that injury is important. It is also important to speak to an experienced dog bite lawyer in Montana and Oregonif you were injured in Montana. You need an attorney with extensive experience and knowledge of local and state laws.

At Bliven Law Firm, P.C., our attorneys are equipped to help you. Our attorneys offer hospital and home visits in Kalispell, Flathead County, Lake County, Sanders County and Lincoln County. Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation by calling (406) 625-0100 or submit an email inquiry.

Share To: