After a car accident, who will pay your medical expenses? How will you get back on your feet? Will you return to work quickly? How will you provide for your family while you recover? Fortunately, there are ways to protect your rights to compensation. You can also get answers to your toughest accident questions.
At Bliven Law Firm, P.C., we want you to know what to do after a car accident. This can then improve your chances of winning your claim. As such, we have compiled a list of the ten steps you need to take after a car crash.
Do You Know How to Proceed After a Car Accident?
When you suffer an injury in a car accident, the steps you take can have a significant impact on your recovery. It can also impact your ability to collect compensation and win your case. After a car accident, it is important to take the following steps.
- Call 911. You need to report any car accident that causes damage or injury. Calling 911 is the best way to alert police and medical teams to the crash. A police report is critical to proving fault.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not think you suffered an injury, it is important to seek medical attention. A medical report is invaluable when establishing damages after an accident.
- Exchange information. It is important to exchange information with the other driver. Without their contact information, it is often your word versus their word. Be sure to get their driver’s license number, insurance cards and license plate number.
- Get eyewitness information. If eyewitnesses are present, get their contact information as well. This will help your attorney tremendously when investigating your accident.
- Take pictures and gather evidence. It is important to take pictures of the car accident scene. This includes the crash damage, tire marks and other evidence that could help your case. You can also photograph your injuries.
- Notify your insurance company. Most insurance companies need notification after an accident. Call your insurance company. You can then let an insurance agent know you suffered injuries in an accident. Answer their questions honestly but avoid speculating about the crash or your injuries.
- Keep records. It is important to keep meticulous records of everything related to your crash. This includes receipts of over-the-counter medications, as well as mileage to and from doctor visits. You should keep all documents that may help your attorney build your case in a separate file.
- Follow doctor’s orders. Be sure to follow all doctor’s orders and attend all therapy sessions. The insurance company will look for any way to reduce your claim. What may happen if you miss therapy or fail to fill pain medication? Unfortunately, your insurer may then use this to claim that your injuries are not severe.
- Avoid social media. Social media can damage your case. As such, avoid posting anything to social media while your case is ongoing. If you are unsure of how to handle social media during this time, then ask your lawyer about it.
- Call an attorney. After an injury accident, it is important to call an experienced car accident attorney. Your attorney can help protect your rights to compensation. This lawyer will then safeguard your future through the legal process.
Contact Our Kalispell Car Accident Attorneys
If you suffered an injury in a car accident in the Kalispell area, we are here to help. At Bliven Law Firm, P.C., our Kalispell car accident lawyers know how difficult this time is. We know that you need money now to pay for your medical bills and expenses. We also know that insurance companies look for any reason to deny your claim and pay you as little as possible. That is why we work so hard for injured auto accident victims. We have the resources and experience needed to tackle large accident cases – and win. To learn more about your legal options call us at (406) 407-9099 or fill out our confidential contact form. We offer free initial consultations so you can get the help you deserve.